Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Using Second Life’s 3D Online World to Train Online Students: CIT2007
This was a presentation I rode shotgun on with John Miller at the League for Innovation's Conference on Information Technology. It is on teaching in Second Life.
Using Second Life’s 3D Online World to Train Online Students
Instructional designers and faculty in any educational program will benefit from this presentation. Included in this presentation is the unveiling of an innovative emergency/nursing education simulator (NESIM). Live patient simulations will be created and role played while RN student teams use the NESIM simulator to apply critical thinking skills and interventions.
1. Learn about SL
2. Learn how to use SL for education
3. Learn how to use simulators for interactive education
4. Learn how to develop basic simulation strategies and incorporate them into existing courses
5. Learn how to train in medical fields in SL
RL Time & Location - Conference on Information Technology, Nashville, TN Rock and Roll Room, Renaissance Hotel, 3:15pm CST, Monday, November 12, 2007 http://www.league.org/league/partners/confer_profile.htm#cit
SL Time & Location - ISTE Auditorium http://slurl.com/secondlife/ISTE%20Island/207/51/23 1:15pm SLT, Monday, November 12, 2007. Be prompt. This is a multi-location presentation in SL. The presentation will begin and end at ISTE Auditorium.
SL Event Information and Instructions
* Join the group, CIT ‘07 SL Nursing Ed Sim, before the conference. The presentation will be in voice, in group mode using this group. Please go to Preferences, Voice Chat, put a check in the boxes Enable voice chat and Start Viewer in Push-to-Talk mode. Please make sure that Push-to-Talk in toggle mode is not checked. This will eliminate sounds from your rl on the listening end. Please only press to speak, Push-to-Talk trigger) if specifically invited to by the moderator, padlurowncanoe Dibou.
* A landmark to NESIM will be sent out in a group notice. NESIM is usually “access list only” but will be open during the presentation.
* Please IM text the moderator, padlurowncanoe Dibou, with questions during the presentation. She will forward them to the appropriate presenter. Any questions not addressed during the Q&A, will receive a personal response, post-presentation.
* Direct pre and post event questions to padlurowncanoe Dibou by IM, notecard, or email, email@example.com
* Direct NESIM pre and post event inquiries to JS Vavoom by notecard or email, firstname.lastname@example.org
SL and RL Event Outline
* Live SL Musician, Komuso Tokugawa, will entertain with a few songs as attendees arrive, attain notecards, and set up group and SL voice preference for the event. The RL event will observe and listen on the big screen as RL presenters greet, pass out materials, and provide an overview of SL.
* Opening Remarks - padlurowncanoe Dibou (Cathy Walker)
* NESIM Project overview - JS Vavoom (John Miller) and Dante Arbusto (Geoff Cain)
* NESIM simulator description - JS Vavoom (John Miller) and markin Pau (David Bodily)
* Go to NESIM for live demo with Tacoma Community College RN students.
* Q&A at NESIM — text moderator, padlurowncanoe Dibou, with questions.
* Return to ISTE. Results and future SL education plans - JS, markin, and Dante (John, David, and Geoff)
* Q&A at ISTE — text moderator, padlurowncanoe Dibou, with questions.
* John Miller MN, BSN, ADN, RN, instructor of nursing, Tacoma Community College (SL - JS Vavoom)
* David Bodily BSN, RN, instructor of nursing, Western Wyoming Community College (SL - markin Pau )
* Geoff Cain MS, instructional designer, Tacoma Community College (SL Dante Arbusto)
* Rebecca Bean, RN nursing student, Tacoma Community College (SL - 2B Schmooz)
* Marisa Aslanian, RN nursing student, Tacoma Community College (SL - BayBay Bedrosian)
A Special Thanks To
* Andy Duckworth, BA, distance learning coordinator, Tacoma Community College
* Cathy Walker, Educational Technology and Network Admin, St. Vincent de Paul (SL - padlurowncanoe Dibou)